Far Above Rubies

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Wait For Me

Wait for me,
As I wait for you.
Faithfully, darling --
Let us be true.

Waiting... waiting...
For God to make it clear
Just exactly who you are,
And if you're far or near.

Waiting... waiting...
For months or for years?
I'll wait patiently
And bide my fears.

Are you waiting as I wait?
With pure heart and steady gait,
Will you take my hand and vows?
Are you waiting for me now?

This poem was written by yours truly at the age of fifteen. I found it last night while browsing through one of my old journals. It was very comforting to me. Why?

From a young age, I have always maintained a high standard of purity -- even to the extent of saving my first kiss. It is really hard to maintain a high standard of purity -- not the easy road to take -- but young ladies, I encourage you to take this road with me.

I'd like to be able to look my husband in the eye someday and say with a clear conscience, "I saved everything for you -- not just my virginity, but I saved everything, even my first kiss." Sounds a bit antiquated and maybe silly? A lot of people think so. And what if I never marry? Many young women use this argument: I'm attracted to this guy, so what's wrong if we kiss? I may not get married, so should I never ever kiss?? Young ladies, your first kiss, like your virginity, is a very precious gift. Once you give it, it's gone.

For those of us who won't marry, we can offer up that purity to Christ which we kept intact during our life. Your purity and innocence are so fragile and difficult to keep intact. In the end, it will be worth it, even just to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

So ladies, I encourage you to wait -- not for your Prince Charming -- but wait for the Lord.

"... Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:25b-27)

"Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." (2 Timothy 2:22)

“'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I hope in Him!' The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone and keep silent, because God has laid it on him." (Lamentations 3:24-28)


13 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I heard one woman say once that if you kiss a man and do not marry him and he later marries another woman then you've kissed someone else's husband. Interesting. I promote rigid standards!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Ditto! I also heard that. Good point to think about.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Beautiful thoughts, Carey.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger TheEarthCanBeMoved said...

good advice here.
Follow through.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Carey said...

I will.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

well well well, "the holy women" of "the old time" live on.
I praise God for the 7000.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Camille said...

Oooh! Wow, I didn't know this blog existed!! This is great stuff!! I can't wait for you all to post more. The poem was lovely, Carey! I'm a poetry person myself. Keep up the good work, ladies!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks Rev and Nella.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Excellent poem, Carey, but also praise the Lord that He has given you such wisdom. Knowledge is good, but wisdom is far above, and you are very wise!

I heartely agree with you...we are so similar, I really think you are my long lost sister! It's encouraging that you are like that, Carey, because even some of my closest friends at church do not have that mentality, and it gets pretty lonely at times over here.

Thanks for the encouragement.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Carey said...

I always knew I had a long-lost sister somewhere!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Redeemed said...

TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Consecrated said...

wwwwoooo hooooooo. I never knew I had two daughters. Am I lucky or what? Can't wait for you to get here Carey.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Yay! *happy dance*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home