Far Above Rubies

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

"It's not a religion, it's a relationship."

This is what I told a girl at school a year ago. She was raised Methodist and was telling me (rather sarcastically) about the futility and traditions she was brought up in, how she thought the Bible was more like Aesop's Fables, etc. It pained my heart to hear about such a misrepresentation of my Lord.

Even as born-again believers, how often do we treat God like a religion, rather than a relationship? We go to church every Sunday, pray over our meals, occasionally read our Bibles to make our day better, maybe join a Wednesday night Bible study... we go through the motions. How often do we actually see that the Lord of heaven and earth loves us dearly and wants a very personal relationship with us? He wants to meet us at every step of our day... but do we sense Him there?

Several years ago, an older Christian friend of mine from China pointed out something that struck my heart to the core. We were discussing devotions and when we had them. She asked if I had a specific time I met the Lord each day.

"Well, no... sometimes in the morning (if I wake up early enough), or in the evening -- whenever I have the time."

"If the President of the United States asked to meet you at a specific time, would you tell him 'Whenever I have the time'?"

Ouch. Of course not. If the President wanted to meet me, of course I would set aside the time (even if I don't agree with him 100%). How much more should I honor the Creator of the universe?

So ladies... when do you meet the Lord each day?

6 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Thanks for posting that, Carey. It was encouraging to read.

Lol, I guess that could have been a comment on my post. I tell ya, great minds really do think alike!!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Maybe we are long-lost sisters!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Redeemed said...

That be cool!!!

I just find it nice to see people across the globe witnessing and talking about the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's also nice that we get to all come together over the blogsphere.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger untamed said...

I have to admit. I too am guilty of putting aside time with God. I found with my busy scedule that if I put God first in the morning, He's easier to find during the day. Like if I don't take time with Him in the morning, I'm more prone to ignore Him the rest of the day. And vice versa. It is a relationship not a religion. You have an awesome blog here. Keep it up!

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Ditto with me. If I don't talk to God first thing in the morning, my day is all skewed. It's also good to have devotions at night before you go to bed -- kinda 'checking in and out' with God each day.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Consecrated said...

Coffee cup in hand, Bible reading is the first thing I do in the morning. Then I read on the train. Then sometimes I read at lunch sometimes, and sometimes I read the Proverbs of the day on line, then again on the train going back home (if I am not chatting with someone). Not so religiously I read at night before going to bed. That is an area I must improve on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home