Far Above Rubies

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)

Monday, July 24, 2006

Emotional Purity

Webster's dictionary defines pure as "unmixed with any other matter -- free from dust, dirt, or taint -- spotless, stainless -- being thus and no other: sheer, unmitigated."

Physical purity has always been stressed in the Church. Have we ever stopped to consider that there is more than just sexual purity to preserve? We focus so much on saving the body for marriage.

But what of the heart?

I feel a divine jealousy for you, for I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ. But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:2-3, ESV)

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (1 Timothy 1:5)

So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:22)

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. (Hebrews 10:22-23)

Sarah F., a good friend of my family wrote this about emotional purity...

When I was in college and was in an accountability group, I remember coming across a verse that struck me hard. "Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless..." (1 Peter 3:14)
I was profoundly aware of my spots. I had been emotionally involved with guys through dating for several years and longed for emotional purity. How I wished to turn back time and do things differently! My sincere desire is that you do not make the same mistakes I did.
My advice to you would be to fall in love with the Savior. Place Him in the highest place in your heart. Once you withdraw your worth and satisfaction from Jesus, you will no longer be in as much danger of drawing value from other people.
If you have become emotionally wrapped up in other people, as I did, there is still hope! God is faithful and is able to make all things new. He can renew your heart. Its never too late to choose purity! (Beauty From the Heart: Thoughts on Purity)

For us women, it is all too easy to become emotionally entangled (see "Guarding Your Heart"). Each one of us has a built-in desire to be loved, but so often do we forget our heavenly Bridegroom and compromise our emotional purity! I do not suggest that we do not become emotionally involved, but that we be careful not to become emotionally entangled. Emotional involvement is inevitable for us women -- that is the way we are built.

To my unmarried female audience: Would it not be wonderful to tell your husband someday, "You are the first, the last -- the only man I have ever loved or will love"? I have held emotional attachments for the opposite gender before -- out of sisterly love -- but never anything serious. Once I fall in love with someone -- that's it. Period. It's all or nothing.

Ladies, that is why it is so important -- and I repeat -- so important that we consistently offer our hearts to our Bridegroom Jesus Christ for His keeping. We must be at all times surrendered to His will -- our hearts in His hand -- so that we may keep His commandment of total purity.

Purity requires all of you -- body, mind, heart -- without total surrender to Christ, there is no purity. I exhort you, my sisters, to render yourselves living sacrifices to the Lover of your soul.

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1-2, ESV)

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Yes. body, mind, heart all have to be whole. If you get emotionally entangled with guys all it does is mess you up if your not married to them.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger ~*Joyzey*~ said...

Trust me on this.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Amen, and Amen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home