Far Above Rubies

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Guarding Your Heart

As Christian women, we are constantly told to guard our hearts (usually in regards with a man). So many (including myself) take this to mean "guard your emotions." We think we must detach ourselves emotionally from a situation in order to "guard" our hearts. In reality, my sisters, we cannot guard our own hearts. That is the job of our heavenly Bridegroom.

We women are very emotional creatures. It is difficult (and nearly impossible) to emotionally detach ourselves from people and/or situations, so attempting to emotionally detach ourselves seems a little absurd.

For the longest time, I held the view that guarding my heart meant building walls around it -- complete with concrete, barbed wires, and snipers. Sure, I was an impenetrable fortress -- no man would have me. What I didn't realize was that not only was I inhibiting my relationship with my Beloved Lord, but a person who builds walls cannot love easily... and those who do not love do not truly live. The Lord had to break down my "walls" -- a painful, but sanctifying experience -- to render my heart broken and vulnerable. Yet when your heart is broken and vulnerable, dear sister, that is when the Lord works best.

Guarding your heart is not building walls. Rather, it is tearing down the walls around your heart and making yourself vulnerable to the Lord -- not to a man, but to your heavenly Bridegroom. Guarding your heart is surrendering it to the Lord and His will. You must trust the Lord to guard your heart, not your own walls to defend it. Be most assured, dear sister, that the Lord will guard your heart with a jealous passion -- for it belongs to Him. Surrender your heart to the Lord, for there is no safer place than in His hands.

There will be pain and suffering, but embrace that cross just as our Lord did. Embrace your vulnerability. Embrace the pain that comes with a broken heart. Bear it gladly and bear it well, my sisters.

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, Who daily bears our burdens. Selah. (Psalm 68:19)


8 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I, too, used to have walls, but it was not to keep men out. It was to keep me from becoming vulnerable in any way. Somehow it didn't work, and gladly most of those walls are gone.

Surrender is difficult and has to be done intentionally all the time. Surrender something once, and that's good, but you'll probably take it back again. Keep surrendering!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Good post, Carey.

The only way I know and understand how to surrender my heart (and my life) to the Lord is to daily abide by Him through prayer, Bible reading and just meditating on Him.

The moment I start to backslide and let go of Him in my life, I immediately see the downfall.

We are His children and the apple of His eye. He is our shield and our protector. But often enough we build up so many distractions in our life and lose focus of Him.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Surrender is something that you must do minute by minute every day. Surrender is a constant state we must live in -- always putting our "Isaacs" on the altar. Rendering our lives to the Lord is a difficult concept to grasp -- let alone doing it every single day. I'm still not sure I completely grasp this concept -- except to be in the Word and prayer constantly (as Sarah said). I truly think it involves a mental "sacrifice" of the thing you desire. Sometimes the Lord will accept your sacrifice (because it is His will), and other times, He will return it to you, just as He returned Isaac to Abraham.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Well said, Carey. Never thought of it that way.

This reminds me of the hymn "I surrender all".

All to Jesus I surrender;
all to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him,
in his presence daily live......

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Amen, Sarah! I love that hymn.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Consecrated said...

Are you in love, Carey?

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Carey said...

I'm absolutely in love with my Lord!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Consecrated said...

good come back smarty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home