Far Above Rubies

"A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies." (Proverbs 31:10)

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Path of Obedience

If there's one thing I gained from this nanny job it is insight -- I will have a better idea of what I'm getting into than most young women. No idealistic dreams of having well-behaved children and how I think parenting should be done (with my vast years of life experience... haha). It is just plain hard (and a full-time job).

For the past two days Taylor (age four) and I have been dealing with obedience issues. Sure, she's cute and sweet, but wow is she stubborn. I have to be even more stubborn, but I also realize that for a young child obedience is one of the most important lessons she can learn. Really, obedience is the most important lesson for anyone to learn, but it becomes harder for an adult to learn.

For people like myself with a rebellious streak, obedience can be a hard (and sometimes painful) lesson to learn. If you're like me, it sometimes takes several "lessons" (or a 2x4 over the head) to get the message across, but the more you practice obedience the easier it becomes. The path of obedience is not often chosen because it is difficult, it is hard, and it is lonely. The path of obedience will not make you happy -- but it will bring you the greatest joy.

Just a few days ago, I was presented with a clear-cut choice to obey God or do my own thing. By the sheer grace of God I chose the path of obedience this time, even though it was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make yet. In my journal, I compared it to jumping off a cliff...
(03 July) ... I don't know what will come of this. I jumped off the ledge and I cannot see the bottom -- neither have I hit it. It's as though I am suspended with naught but the invisible hand of Christ holding me -- but He caught me when I jumped. Now I have to entrust the landing to Him, [even though] it may be a while before I land.
Obedience is like jumping off a cliff: God often calls us to obey when we cannot see the outcome of the situation. We have the choice to jump or turn around. Often we turn around, but do we not realize that though it may be a bottomless abyss before us, that the Almighty is there to catch us. Just think of Peter walking on the water to Jesus (Matthew 14).

Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart! (Psalm 119:1-2)

4 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Great post! I, too, have seen how stubborn and disobedient kids can be!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Redeemed said...

Beautiful, Carey. We too are as little children and we need to obey our Heavenly Father. Though it may be difficult, it's for our own good.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Absolutely! And not only for our good, but for our BEST! I like to say "God has a better imagination than I do," and if you know anything about my wild imagination...

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Carey said...

I wonder who I got that from... *glances at mom*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home